Friday, 23 January 2009

Inauspicious Beginnings

Yesterday evening I was making up a batch of Ragu[1] for the freezer while mulling over whether I'd made the right choice in turning down a new job. Every few minutes I stopped to wander back to the studio to check how the mix down from the previous night's rehearsal was going, trying not to get distracted by the pile of camera related bits that I needed to sort through at some point last week. All the time in the background music was streaming out of the various rooms of the house over my hacked together multicast house sound system, also in need of finishing off.

This is my world at the moment.

Occasionally at times like this I've made an entry in what I laughably call a diary. The previous entry was 18 months ago and before that another couple of years. Reading these little glimpses of my life is entertaining and sometimes thought provoking -- seeing how I've changed and how against my expectations I've stayed the same -- but it would be more interesting to me if I did it more often. So today I'm finally getting around to getting a blog in the hope that it will raise the immediate appeal of the writing down my thoughts enough to get it to the front of the to-do queue once in a while.

My world is one of music, technology, flavours, photography and idealism, all scrambled together with a healthy dose of chaos. Perhaps in 18 months I will look back on a blog full of recipes, images, the development and release of my first album and a useful set of notes on computer related things I've played with. Perhaps I'll just look back on a week's worth of postings at the start of 2009 and smile to myself about another failed attempt to keep a diary.


[1] Fry two onions, some garlic and a stick of celery. Add two finely chopped rashers of streaky bacon and some chicken livers, then one large quantity of reduced-to-clear organic minced beef. Add a glass of red, a tablespoon of herbes de provence (lazy), black pepper and salt, and two tins of chopped tomatoes. Frying pan full to the brim, simmer for an hour or two. A bit more space as the sauce reduces, stir, add a bunch of oregano from the garden, simmer again then divide and freeze the next day[2]. Made just under two litres of sauce. These sorts of sauces always tastes better to me when they've been frozen and reheated.

[2] Meanwhile, mince two bunches of reduced-to-clear coriander, one of leftover mint, a teaspoon of turmeric, half a cup of vinegar, lemon juice, water, fenugreek seed and oil and make up a pint of lurid green sauce for later consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment